Digital Technology – Digital technologies are electronic tools designed to generate, store and process information. Well-known instances of digital technology are social media, multimedia, Smartphones, online games, eBooks, video streaming, websites, etc. In this article below, we will further discuss the advantages of digital technology.
What is Digital Technology?
Information refers to data, while digital means binary. Data consists of images, music, and video in addition to text. It allows a large amount of data compressed on small storage devices to be effortlessly stored & transported.
Digitization speeds up the transmission speed of data. This digitized information is recorded in binary codes combined with the digits 0 and 1, also known as bits resembling words and images. Our ability to communicate, learn, and work has been facilitated by digital technology. Additionally, it has changed how media can be discovered, produced, shared, and seen.
History of Digital Technology:
Digital electronics replaced mechanical and conventional electronics during the 3rd industrial revolution, which is often referred to as the “digital revolution.”
In the half of the 20th century, individuals started adopting digital computers and digital record keeping till the present time. Over half of the Americans started to own their personal computers. The amount of people using the internet reached 1 billion. Additionally, the digital revolution diversified the rest of the advanced world.
The revolution began with digital transformations. The conversion of analogue and manual systems to digital was largely complete by the 2010s. Individuals began utilising digital transformations to power brand-new business initiatives.
The majority of the businesses’ (40%) technology spending in 2019 will go toward digital transformation. Global spending on technology has surpassed $3 trillion. The capacity to produce goods, services, and experiences that have been digitally changed has dramatically risen. In the current environment, digital transformation has replaced half of the S&P 500 enterprises.
Our daily lives are influenced by the widespread use of apps, payments, bots, and other digital technology. Daily interactions between people and tech behemoths like Google, Facebook, Ten-cent, and Amazon have expanded.
Advantages of Digital Technology:
Let’s have a look at some benefits of digital technology.
1. Social Connectivity: Digital technology makes it easy and simple to stay in touch with friends, family, & work remotely, even if you are in another part of the globe. Words, audio, video, and other forms of media can all be used for communication. Software, apps, and websites have all been developed to help users in socializing. Nobody needs to experience a sense of isolation in the digital world, thanks to social media, messaging, texting, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. Users can receive regular updates on social events and local news.
2. Communication Speeds: Since the beginning of dial-up, internet speeds have multiplied. Vast data files can now be sent nearly instantly across the web, thanks to ever-faster internet, which also makes it possible to access information from almost anywhere around the globe and stream video and audio in real-time. Communication through traditional media can take much longer.
3. Versatile Working: Digital technology has now changed the nature of work. As remote working grows more prevalent, more people now have considerably more opportunities thanks to improved internet alternatives. Today, many tasks can easily be completed from hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Numerous alternative flexible working arrangements are now feasible without requiring that all employees be present in the same building.
4. Learning Opportunities: Anyone with internet connectivity can now have online access to a significant amount of the world’s knowledge. Courses & lessons can now be virtually delivered online.
Communication advances mean that you can now simply communicate with most of the world’s population & learn directly from sources. For instance, if you are trying to understand foreign happenings, or learning a new language. People with impairments may find it easier to use digital technology, which frequently gives them equal access.
5. Automation: Digital technology is now increasingly making machines sharp-witted. In some instances, the devices can be operated by themselves, freeing up personnel from tedious chores for more fascinating employment. In other situations, smarter machines equate to higher safety standards or a better user experience.
As technology advances & becomes more widely used, prices for goods and services go down. Nowadays, customers may perform many things without the need for a mediator, such as booking a vacation, directly on their own.
6. Information Storage: Digital technology makes it possible to store tremendous volumes of data in very little space. On small devices such as mobile phones, a lot of media, including images, music, movies, contact information, as well as other documents, can be transported. Data can be kept in several physical locations and online locations, making it accessible from any device with network access.
7. Editing: One of the great advantages of digital technology over traditional media is that the information can be much easier to edit or manipulate.Text editing has undergone a revolution as a result of word processing.
Today, video editing may be done on a laptop in a bedroom instead of in costly studios and equipment. Pictures can now be cropped, resized, and creatively altered in addition to a wide variety of photographic effects.
8. Accurate Duplication: The ability to replicate media exactly is one of the best things about digital technology. For instance, you could prepare a report for work & email it to several people, or you could give family and friends multiple copies of your images. Advanced technologies are already taking place in the area of 3D printing, which has the potential to drastically alter our reality.
9. GPS and Mapping: Previously, navigating required consulting a paper map, but the advent of digital and satellite technology has revolutionized transportation. Today’s GPS systems can accurately pinpoint your location, provide you with real-time updates on traffic congestion and road closures, and provide you with a wealth of current information, along with the estimated time of arrival at your destination as well as other routes. It’s also simple to locate a petrol station or a pharmacy that is open.
10. Low Cost: Aside from paying for an internet service and the basics like a modem, much of what the digital world offers can be accessed for free. The majority of the time, there is no expense associated with sending emails, using video chat to communicate with relatives, or using the internet. It can provide chances for low-cost self-education, setting up a business, buying & selling products, or earning money online.
11. Transportation: Digital technology is already used to some extent in many trains and aircrafts. In the not-too-distant future, all road vehicles, such as cars and trucks, will be totally automated. Today, it’s common to access timetables online and book flights and trains. The information-holding digital chips found in passports allow self-service workstations to expedite the check-in and customs clearance processes.
12. Banking and Finance: There’s no doubt that digitalization has led to a revolution in financial matters. Online banking is done either through a laptop, tablet, or phone app usually. In addition to arranging money transfers and bill payments, bank customers can also examine their incoming and outgoing payments electronically.
Apart from banking, internet transactions can be made for stock and currency exchanges as well as other monetary transactions. In recent years, there has been a substantial amount of innovation in the national and international transfer of money between accounts.
13. News: More and more people are using social media or websites to access the news online. Even conventional news outlets like TV and radio have gone digital. More news sources are available than ever, and the majority of them are open around-the-clock. Nowadays, it’s increasingly common for regular individuals to use their smartphones to capture images and videos at sites where news events are occurring.
14. Entertainment: Since the beginning of the internet revolution, the whole entertainment sector and how people amuse themselves have undergone significant change. Many people enjoy online through social media or by playing computer games. The digitization of radio, television, and broadcasting has led to changes in traditional media as well. Read about Top 100 surprising facts of Digital Technology that you didn’t know.
To Read about Cyber Security